Saturday, October 8, 2016

Hand Dyeing Border Leicester Fleece

These photos include color ways in blues and orange, grays and purples, and greens and rose, although the photos don't do them justice! They are soft and lustrous and a joy to spin. I dyed these using a low water immersion technique, on my stovetop, and Jaquard Acid Dyes. A very non-scientific approach, and rather freeing, I might add, since I did not follow my customary weighing and measuring of the dyestuffs. I simply prewet the wool adding a bit of soap to break the surface tension of the water and allow the dye to attach more easily to the fiber. Then, once arranged in the pan with water to barely cover the locks, I randomly sprinkled the dye on top, adding vinegar to help the dye strike, until the water cleared. Can't wait to spin these! I will be looking for Wensleydale fleece and Teeswater as well, next weekend, at the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival.....those breeds are coveted by spinners, and are softer (finer micron counts) than the Border Leicester! So many possibilities......!


No comments:

Post a Comment